The Perennial Plant Association (PPA) in August 2016 recognized Garden Making Editor-in-Chief Beckie Fox with its Garden Media Award at its 34th Perennial Plant Symposium in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota.
The PPA award distinguishes an individual representing the media including radio, television, photography, newspaper, books, and magazine publishing, etc. whose educational and promotional efforts result in a heightened public awareness of the importance of the perennial plant industry.
The PPA, headquartered in Hilliard, Ohio, is a trade association composed of growers, retailers, landscape designers and contractors, educators, and others that are professionally involved in the herbaceous perennial industry.
Beckie was one of several recipients of special awards:
- Brent Horvath, Intrinsic Perennial Gardens, received the Grower Award in recognition of one who holds high standards of production, maintains high quality plants, and provides motivation while respecting the requirements of the perennial industry.
- Dr. David Graper, South Dakota State University was presented the Academic Award that recognizes a PPA member who provides exceptional leadership in education to the industry, including professors, researchers, teachers, master gardeners, cooperative extension agents, librarians, public garden employees, and horticultural lecturers.
- Klehm’s Song Sparrow Nursery was granted the Retail Sales Award in recognition of being a commercial representative instrumental in making their business optimally progressive and successful in providing outstanding marketing and customer service in sales of perennials, including garden centres, and mail order firms.
- Klaus Peters, Stauden Peters, Kraneburg, Germany was recognized for excellence with the International Contributor Award. This award is given to an individual who conducts business and resides in a country other than the United States and Canada and who has made outstanding contributions to the herbaceous perennial industry in the international arena in growing, marketing, contracting, writing, teaching, extension, research, landscaping, hybridizing, promotion, and innovation.
- Janet Draper, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC was recognized with the Service Award that distinguishes a qualified PPA member for outstanding service to the PPA by contributing considerable time and talent by attending meetings, serving on committees, motivating members to act on concerns within the industry, and demonstrating leadership and organizational skills.
- Beckie Fox of Garden Making magazine and Carolyn Ulrich of Chicagoland Gardening in Chicago received the Garden Media Award.
- Dr. Jared Barnes, Steven F. Austin State University was named to the Young Professional Award to recognize, honor, and encourage participation, achievement, and growth of an individual in the industry or to a student who is a talented and diligent newcomer. Individuals are selected based on their involvement in the PPA, their contributions to the success of their company, and their portrayal of a positive image of the perennial plant industry to the public.
Leave a Reply