This year, the Toronto Botanical Garden (TBG) annual fundraising garden tour will be close to home, that is, close to the TBG’s location at the corner of Leslie Street and Lawrence Avenue. The tour on the June 9-10 weekend will provide an opportunity to see gardens in the Windfields neighbourhood, north of Lawrence Avenue and west of Leslie Street, part of the former site of Windfields Farm, the estate of the legendary Canadian entrepreneur and philanthropist E.P. Taylor .
The tour, now called Mark’s Choice Through the Garden Gate, is Toronto’s largest private garden tour.
“Our amazing volunteers are proud to show off 19 of the finest gardens found in the neighbourhood of Windfields Estate,” says Harry Jongerden, TBG executive director. “We’re also thrilled to show off our own garden this year!”
The self-guided tour format enables participants to discover the gardens at their own pace following a map and garden guide that contains descriptions of each featured garden. A complimentary shuttle bus service is available for participants to “hop on and hop off” along the route on the quiet streets of this established neighbourhood. Toronto Master Gardeners will be stationed in each garden to answer questions about the plants and the design features. Each garden highlights interesting plants and garden design lessons including:
- How to create a certified wildlife habitat
- What plants to use in a shade garden
- Ways to use colour to marry your house and garden
- How to deal with elevation changes or a sloping landscape
- How to create a dog-friendly garden
- What plants to choose plants for all-season bloom
TBG tour info
Saturday, June 9, and Sunday, June 10, 2018 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Tour headquarters: Toronto Botanical Garden (777 Lawrence Avenue East), at the corner of Lawrence Avenue and Leslie Street. Ticket holders can also enjoy a stroll through the beautiful, contemporary display gardens, shopping at the garden ghop, or dining at the TBG Café.
Petals and Pedals Bike Tour: For a different way of experiencing the gardens, join this guided tour and pedal around the route accompanied by a Master Gardener on wheels. Snacks, picnic lunch and a glass of biodynamic bubbly is included. This group bike tour is conducted in partnership with Toronto Bicycle Tours and is suitable for beginner to advanced riders. $99/person + taxes (optional bike rental $50 + taxes).
One-Day Pass: Public $45 / TBG Members $40
Two-Day Pass: Public $65 / TBG Members $60
Students $25 (With ID, One-Day Pass Only)
Tax included. Tickets are limited, advance purchase recommended.
Tickets available at:
- TBG Garden Shop | 777 Lawrence Avenue East | 416-397-1357
- Plant World | 4000 Eglington Avenue West | 416-241-9174
- Sheridan Nurseries | 2827 Yonge Street, Toronto | 416-481-6429
- Sheridan Nurseries | 606 Southdown Road, Mississauga | 905-822-0251
- Sheridan Nurseries | 2069 Burnhamthorpe Road East, Mississauga | 905-624-3722
For more information or to purchase tickets contact 416-397-1341.